Education & Training
Pinellas County has a diverse and growing workforce as a result of a strong foundation in education starting from Pinellas County Schools to Higher Education institutions such as St. Petersburg College, University of South Florida St. Petersburg Campus, Eckerd College, and a multitude of training and workforce programs. Enhanced educational opportunities for preparing students and educators for multiple career pathways are provided through organizations such as the Pinellas Education Foundation. Employers in Pinellas have all the programs and resources to meet talent needs of companies as industries and technologies grow and change.
University of South Florida, St. Petersburg
Anchoring Florida’s High Tech Corridor, Pinellas County and Tampa Bay are home to the University of South Florida. With 48,000 students it is one of the largest universities in the nation and a growing powerhouse for research, rating in the top 50 for federal research expenditures. Learn more about:
St. Petersburg College
St. Petersburg College works closely with the business community and continually updates industry-focused programs. The school’s enrollment tops 44,000, and it awards more than 5,000 Bachelors’ and Associates’ degrees annually. Its Associates’ Degree in Engineering Technology was the first in Florida and serves as a national model. Learn more about:
Eckerd College is a private college of liberal arts and sciences with over 2,000 students and 39 majors with pre-professional programs in Engineering & Applied Science, Pre-Law, Pre-Health (pre-dentistry, pre-med, and pre-veterinary science). The college has more National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Hollings scholars than any other college in the country.
- National Forensic Science Technology Center at FIU is an innovative center located in Largo, Florida, works with laboratory, law enforcement and military professionals to improve forensic science practice in the US and around the world.
- Keiser University in Clearwater, Florida, offers career-focused degree programs in the fields of business, criminal justice, education, general studies, health care, information technology, legal studies, nursing, psychology and interdisciplinary studies
Medical Schools & Healthcare Education
- Nova Southeastern University Tampa Bay in Clearwater, Florida features a 311,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art facility with waterfront views, that serves as a branch site for the University’s Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine. Academic programs offered include Anesthesia, Family Nurse Practitioner, International Dental Program, Osteopathic Medicine and more.
- Additional institutions:
Career & Technical Education
- Pinellas Technical College offers students first-rate career and technical education in over 40 career areas and about 60 programs to nearly 5,000 full-time students. Continuing education courses and commercial training services are offered through the Industry Services Department.
- National Aviation Academy (NAA) is an aviation maintenance school that brings innovation to meet the demands of today’s workforce, with certification for Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanics.
- AmSkills Inc., provides workforce training and apprenticeships primarily for the Manufacturing Industry. Programs are offered with a focus on recruitment and training in high school, as well as bootcamps, training classes, pre-apprenticeships and apprenticeships.
Pinellas County Schools
Pinellas County Schools is an award-winning district that is the largest employer in Pinellas County, the eighth largest district in the state and the 28th largest district in the nation.
Programs offered include:
- Career Academies offering national/industry certifications
- Fundamental Schools
- Magnet Programs in STEAM
- Charter Schools
- International Baccalaureate Programs for gifted students
- School choice
The area is also home to more than 120 private & faith-based K-12 schools with religious, preparatory, military, boarding and gifted education.